Recipe #18 – GF & LF Mac N Cheese
Ah Mac N Cheese, you can’t really go wrong with a bowl full of the filling, gooey, mouth-watering pasta dish. That is, of course, unless you’re gluten intolerant or watching your waistline, in which case you can go really wrong with it, with some dishes whacking up to 1000 calories in one dish, with a ridiculously high fat content.
This Gluten Free Mac N Cheese is made with Quark, which is basically a soft cheese alternative (think Philadelphia alternative) that is incredibly low in fat in comparison to other cheeses, and I’ve used GF pasta, so it’s GF free too.
Ingredients (serves 2):
200g Gluten Free Pasta
250g Tub Quark Garlic and Herb Cooking Cheese
20 Cherry Tomatoes
2 x Handfuls of Peas (frozen)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Olive Oil (I use the spray type)
1) Preheat your oven to 180degrees, chop your tomatoes in half, place on a baking sheet and spray with a little oil. Pop these in the oven (they should take no longer than 15 minutes to cook)
2) Fill your saucepan with water, weigh out your pasta and throw in. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 10 minutes (or for however long you normally do depending on how you like your pasta cooked)
3) Two minutes before your pasta is cooked the way you like, add your peas to the water and cook. There is no real reason why I do this, it’s just to save on washing up
4) Sieve your pasta and peas and add back to your saucepan. Add the tub of quark and mix thoroughly, then add some salt and pepper to taste.
5) Distribute pasta into your two bowls and remove the tomatoes from the oven. Place these (carefully, they’ll be hotter than the sun if they pop in your fingers) on top of your pasta for garnish
6) Tuck in
And there you have it! A super easy, quick and filling pasta dish that is a healthy twist on the classic. I’m not going to lie to you and say it tastes exactly the same as the real thing, but it’s a damn tasty alternative!
As always, let me know if you try it!
Thanks for reading,