Healthy (& Veggie) Dinner Recipe #3
I’m loving this healthy eating malarkey at the moment. Lack of sweet things due to Lent means I’ve been making meals which are designed to fill me up for longer – curbing my sweet craving.
This next recipe easily serves three, or two if you’re feeling hungry, and is a great, warming yet low-cal meal perfect for cold winter nights. It’s so easy and cheap to make too it that it’s a winner all over. It tastes just as good with meat sausages, I just like the flavour of Quorn ones!
1 x pack of six Quorn sausages
1 x white onion
1 x pack microwaveable wholegrain rice
1 x sausage casserole mix
1 x carrot, chopped
2 x handfuls of peas
- Cutting Board with Lid
- Giant cooking pan
1. Heat a tiny amount of oil, I use about three sprays, and throw in your Quorn sausages. It’s better if they brown a bit as they solidify more and don’t break apart when you boil the crap out of it
2. Cut your onion, carrot and get your peas ready, throw in your onions about 5 minutes before the carrots and peas so they can brown slightly. Boil the kettle during this time and make up your sausage casserole mix according to instructions
3. Chuck in the rest of the veg in, and then stir in your casserole mix. I always add a bit more water at this point as no fat comes out the Quorn sausages and they absorb liquids really easily
4. Heat on a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring half way through, then turn the heat down low
5. Stir in some pepper (to taste) and leave the casserole to cook for another 10 minutes. Once this is done, go out and put your rice in the microwave
6. Dish up!
If you’re cooking for one, make this in batch and freeze it, it’s great reheated too!
Thanks for reading,